Expert Witnesses in Personal Injury CasesPublished: Apr 10, 2017 in Personal Injury
In order to recover compensation in any personal injury case, the plaintiff must prove that their injuries were caused by the defendant’s negligent, reckless, or intentional conduct. While some personal injury cases are fairly straightforward in terms of liability, more complex cases may require the use of expert witnesses to prove who is responsible for injuries.
If you are involved in a personal injury claim, contact the Alabama personal injury lawyers Belt & Bruner, P.C. We have offices located in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, and Montgomery in order to best help you. We will answer your questions about the claims process and how to prove that someone else caused your injuries when you call us today at (205) 933-1500.
What is the Role of an Expert Witness?
Expert witnesses are often essential in proving the elements of a personal injury case and can be the difference between winning and losing. Unlike fact witnesses, expert witnesses are used because of their scientific, technical, or specialized knowledge. That knowledge, along with their experience and educational background, allows them to offer an opinion on various aspects of a case.
Expert witnesses play a critical role in helping juries understand evidence and contested issues in personal injury cases. Here are some of their key functions:
- Evaluating evidence during the accident investigation phase
- Consulting with attorneys in preparation of trial
- Offering opinions to help prove elements of a claim or establish liability
- Strengthening the plaintiff’s arguments
- Providing testimony to help clarify technical or complicated aspects of a case for a jury
What Type of Expert Witnesses Are Used in Personal Injury Cases?
Expert witnesses in personal injury cases generally fall into one of the following categories:
- Accident Reconstructionist – These experts are most often used in personal injury cases involving motor vehicle accidents. Following an initial investigation, accident reconstructionists use engineering principles to recreate the crash, analyze evidence, and pinpoint the how and why of a collision.
- Medical Professionals – Physicians can explain the plaintiff’s specific injuries, prognosis, and how those injuries will impact their life in the future. They may also provide testimony about treatment options. In medical malpractice cases, medical specialists are generally called to testify about the reasonable standard of care and whether the defendant physician followed it. Medical expert witnesses do not have to necessarily be the plaintiff’s treating physician.
- Economics – Economic experts perform complicated calculations to determine the plaintiff’s past and future losses, which can be used to support the plaintiff’s claim for damages. These experts provide testimony to the jury that can help them understand how much they should award in dollar amounts if the plaintiff successfully proves their case.
How a Birmingham Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
If you have been injured in an accident caused by another party’s negligent or reckless actions, you should speak with a skilled personal injury lawyer right away. The Alabama injury lawyers with Belt & Bruner, P.C. have more than 65 years of collective experience representing accident victims throughout Alabama and will fight to help you obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Through a personal injury lawsuit, you may be able to receive compensation for the following:
- Medical costs
- Loss of earning potential
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of quality of life
- Property loss or damage
Our attorneys can help you understand the laws that apply to your case, act quickly to investigate your accident and seek out expert witnesses if necessary. We have successfully secured numerous recoveries of $1 million or more for our clients and we fight for the maximum compensation possible in every case.
Call us today at (205) 933-1500 for a free case consultation with one of our skilled personal injury lawyers. With offices in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, and Montgomery, our attorneys can help you obtain compensation at a location near you.