While improvements in crashworthiness and crash avoidance technology have made cars safer, traffic fatalities are at their highest levels in decades. A combination of economic growth and low gas prices has led to more people being on the road, which also means more mistakes that lead to deadly accidents.
Studies have consistently shown that driver errors are at least partially responsible for more than 90 percent of car accidents. Car accidents in Alabama, where the crash fatality rate is above the national average, are often the result of poor judgment by drivers.
If you or a loved one have been involved in an accident, contact our experienced car accident lawyers today at Belt & Bruner, P.C. at (205) 933-1500.
Each year, the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) and Center for Advanced Public Safety publish The Alabama Crash Facts Book, which provides a variety of traffic accident statistics. The publication also lists the most common driver-contributing factors as determined by the officer responding to the crash.
Contributing circumstances are typically considered critical events, meaning that it is the incident or action in the causal chain that immediately precedes the crash. In reality, crashes may have multiple contributing circumstances, not all of which are readily apparent in a post-crash investigation. For example, a driver may be distracted by a conversation with a passenger, which then leads to him striking an unseen object in the road.
According to the most recent crash data report from ALDOT, the top ten primary causes of car accidents are:
- Failure to yield right of way – Primary cause of 20,000 crashes in 2014, 76 of which were fatal.
- Tailgating – Primary cause of 18,550 crashes in 2014, 7 of which were fatal.
- Misjudged stopping distance – Primary cause of 12,483 crashes in 2014, 7 of which were fatal.
- Unseen object, person, or vehicle – Primary cause of 9,628 crashes in 2014, 37 of which were fatal.
- Improper lane change/use – Primary cause of 9,402 crashes in 2014, 34 of which were fatal.
- Speeding – Primary cause of 7,196 crashes in 2014, 107 of which were fatal.
- Swerved to avoid vehicle or object – Primary cause of 6,516 crashes in 2014, 21 of which were fatal.
- Failure to observe/follow sign, signal, or officer – Primary cause of 5,087 crashes in 2014, 22 of which were fatal.
- Driving under the influence – Primary cause of 4,379 crashes in 2014, 100 of which were fatal.
- Ran off road – Primary cause of 3,006 crashes in 2014, 46 of which were fatal.
How the Car Accident Lawyers from Belt & Bruner, P.C. Can Help
Car accidents are preventable in most circumstances. When you or a loved one are injured due to a negligent driver, you need the help of an experienced car accident attorney. At Belt & Bruner, P.C., we are dedicated to helping Alabamians injured in car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and other types of motor vehicle accidents fight for the compensation and justice they deserve.
Our talented team of personal injury attorneys in Alabama has more than 65 years of collective trial experience and will work hard to achieve the best financial recovery possible in your case. Not only do we have a track record of obtaining the best results possible for our clients, our professional, skilled, and accomplished advocacy has earned us the respect of the legal community. To learn more about how we can help you, call our Montgomery car accident lawyers, Mobile car accident lawyers, Huntsville car accident lawyers, or Birmingham car accident lawyers to learn how they can help you. We have obtained more than $200 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of people we’ve represented, including numerous recoveries of $1 million or more — and up to $25 million.