Mobile Car Accident Lawyers
Mobile is the fourth largest city in Alabama with a population of close to 193,000. The sizeable population and all of the business that takes place in and around Mobile County means there is a great deal of traffic. And the more vehicles on the road at any given time, the higher the likelihood of car accidents.
If you were injured in a car accident in Mobile County, or if a loved one was killed in such an accident, contact our Mobile personal injury lawyers at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. as soon as possible. We want to help you through this difficult time, guiding your way through the insurance claim process or a personal injury lawsuit. We will also aggressively fight for you to receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law.
For a free consultation about your case, call Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. at 251-243-0445 today.
Steps to Take After a Crash in Mobile
When you are in a collision with another vehicle, cyclist, or pedestrian, there are several steps you should take afterward:
- Seek medical attention- If you or anyone else is injured, seek medical attention immediately. The most important thing after a car accident is the health and safety of anyone involved in the crash. Never hesitate to go the emergency room. If you are not seriously injured, make an appointment with your physician as soon after a crash as possible.
- Talk with the police- Whether you were in a relatively minor accident or a catastrophic crash, you should speak with an officer from the Mobile Police Department promptly after the accident. You will want a police record of the collision for any future insurance claims, and it can be helpful to offer the police your side of the story. However, avoid admitting fault to the police or anyone else involved in the accident.
- Collect insurance and contact information- If you are able to move around and talk with others after a crash, speak with the other driver(s) to obtain their names, contact information, and auto insurance policy information. If there are witnesses, also get their names and contact information.
- Call a Mobile car accident lawyer- After suffering property damage and bodily injuries in a collision in Mobile County, you will likely have to deal insurance claims and possible lawsuits. The best thing you can do is contact a Mobile car accident lawyer from Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. as soon as possible to prepare what’s to come after your car accident.
Frequent Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents in Mobile County occur for a variety of reasons, and many crashes happen due to multiple factors. However, the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) reports common causes of car accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to yield to the right of way
- Improper lane change or use
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Drowsy driving
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Young or inexperienced drivers
If you believe you were hurt in a car accident due to another driver committing one of these errors, contact our experienced car accident attorneys at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. as soon as possible. We represent individuals and businesses throughout Mobile in all types of personal injury and wrongful death matters.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Minor car accidents, such as fender benders, often lead to relatively minor injuries like bruising, lacerations, and whiplash. However, more significant car accidents – including those that occur at high speeds or exert force directly on the area of the vehicle where you were seated – often lead to serious and catastrophic injuries.
Some of the most common types of injuries to occur from car accidents include:
- Neck or back injuries
- Stretched and torn muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Abdominal injuries
- Punctured organs
- Chest injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Simple and complex bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries, which can cause paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Nerve damage
Mobile Personal Injury Claims
If you were hurt in a car accident that you believe was someone else’s fault, contact our Mobile car accident lawyers as soon as possible. You do not have to be ready to file a lawsuit or even believe your situation will come to that to benefit from an attorney. At Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C., our lawyers will explain your rights following a car accident, specifically in relation to insurance claims. We can be a point of contact for the insurer, taking that stressful task off your plate. We can guide you through the claim process, ensuring you do everything you can to get your claim approved. If your claim is approved, we can utilize our years of experience and knowledge of various tactics to negotiate for the highest settlement available. We will pursue compensation that covers your:
- Medical expenses
- Current and future loss of earning potential
- Damage to your vehicle and other personal property
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Loss of quality of life
There are times when it may be important or necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit. Even if you and your attorneys expect to obtain an insurance settlement, you may need to file suit in order to utilize the discovery process. This process allows you to trade information with the other parties involved. It can help you gather evidence that may help you prove fault. However, a lawsuit may also be important if the other driver was uninsured or underinsured, or if the insurer denied your claim. When an insurance settlement is not possible or looks to be unlikely, a personal injury lawsuit may be your only other option to obtain compensation for your injuries.
Alabama’s Contributory Negligence Law
It is absolutely essential to know about and understand Alabama’s contributory negligence law, because it may affect your case. Alabama follows what is known as a pure contributory negligence rule, which states that an injured party cannot recover compensation if they are in any way responsible for the accident and their own injuries. If an insurer or court finds that you are one percent or more at fault for your car accident, you can be denied compensation entirely.
This is one of the reasons why it is essential to never admit fault after an accident. If you apologize for the crash or misspeak about what happened, an insurer may find grounds to deny your claim. The other party may also use your words for their defense if you decide to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. At Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C., we prioritize protecting your right to compensation, and we will work to avoid or defeat a contributory negligence claim.
Alabama Wrongful Death Law
Car accidents can do a lot more than hurt you, they can kill. When you lose a loved one suddenly in a fatal car accident because of another person’s negligence while driving, you need help handling the legal ramifications while you grieve with your family. At Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C., our Mobile car accident lawyers are here to explain Alabama’s wrongful death law. If this type of claim is an option for you, we will guide you through the process and fight for the maximum punitive damages possible.
Our Mobile Car Accident Lawyers Are Here to Guide You
It can be exceedingly difficult to handle the consequences of a car accident alone. While concentrating on healing or coming to terms with your loss, you are also asked to deal with an insurance adjuster or navigate a personal injury claim. Our Mobile car accident lawyers at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. do not want you to do this all yourself.
You do not have to learn about the insurance claim process or personal injury lawsuits on your own. We are here to explain your rights, responsibilities, and legal options. We can go over the advantages and disadvantages of each choice available to you and discuss the probable outcome of each. Whatever you and your family decide is best, we will guide you through the process with skill and compassion.
Call us today at 251-243-0445, or use our online form to schedule a free consultation.