Birmingham Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Medical professionals work long hours and complete complicated procedures on a daily basis. Their inability to cope with the stress can sometimes cause them to make unnecessary mistakes. Those mistakes can result in serious injuries or even death. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a medical error, contact the Birmingham medical malpractice lawyers with Belt & Bruner, P.C. at 205-933-1500 to find out how you may be compensated for your injuries.
When a health provider betrays your trust and their negligence causes you harm — whether it’s actions such as failing to diagnose a serious illness, prescribing you the wrong medication, mixing up your chart with someone else’s, or performing the wrong surgery — you may be able to hold that provider accountable through a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Top Medical Malpractice Case Results
How Our Birmingham Medical Malpractice Lawyers Can Help You
Medical malpractice cases can be exceptionally complicated and often depend on the interpretation of medical records and other evidence by one or more experts. Our personal injury lawyers in Alabama have more than 65 years of collective experience, including with numerous medical malpractice cases.
We know the laws, we have the resources, and we know how to build medical malpractice cases that win. We have been able to recover several judgments and settlements in excess of $1 million on behalf of people who were harmed by the negligence of a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, hospital, or another health provider.
But each case is unique and the outcome will depend on your individual facts and circumstances — that’s why we encourage you to contact us today to find out what to expect from your case and how we can help you with your recovery.
What is Medical Malpractice?
When medical professionals and healthcare facilities make mistakes, whether negligently or recklessly, patients get hurt. Medical accidents and errors may amount to medical malpractice under the following conditions:
- A physician-patient relationship existed
- The physician did not provide medical care that was consistent with an established Standard of Care
- That breach of Standard of Care resulted in injury to the patient
If your medical provider did not diagnose you properly, treat you properly, provide timely treatment, or any number of other negligent or reckless acts or omissions, and that resulted in your injuries, he or she may be liable for medical malpractice.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice
Our lawyers at Belt & Bruner, P.C. are familiar with many kinds of medical malpractice claims. We have worked with people throughout Alabama who were injured due to the negligence or recklessness of their medical providers. Some common types of medical malpractice include:
- Hospital Errors – Hospital negligence may occur when procedures within the facility result in injury to patients. For example, if charts are not properly labeled and you are treated for the wrong disease, you may become worse. Our attorneys can help you understand your rights after suffering injury due to the negligence of a hospital.
- Diagnosis Errors – It can be difficult to diagnose injuries and illnesses correctly, but medical standards of care provide measures that guide diagnoses with tests, radiological images, and other medical procedures. If you were injured due to a misdiagnosis, we may be able to help you obtain compensation for your losses.
- Surgery Errors – When you have surgery, you expect to fix a medical situation. However, surgical errors can cause even greater injury. If you have suffered an injury due to a surgical error, contact us so we can begin investigating your claim right away.
- Birth Injuries – The last thing parents want is for their newborn child to receive injuries due to medical errors. If your child was injured during or after birth, contact us to deal with the legal issues while you focus on your child’s recovery.
- Pharmaceutical Malpractice – Medication error is one of the most common types of medical errors. Medical professionals may prescribe or administer the wrong medication or the wrong dose. Pharmacies may give you the wrong prescription. If you have suffered an injury due to a pharmaceutical error, contact our attorneys today for a free consultation.
What Can You Recover If You’ve Been Injured?
Medical injuries can result in severe injuries and extensive financial loss. You may be suffering mentally and physically from the injuries you incurred. You may have medical bills as a result of the injury and you may be unable to work.
There are no caps on medical malpractice recoveries in Alabama. The Birmingham medical malpractice lawyers with Belt & Bruner, P.C. can help you determine the value of your case.
How Soon Should You Contact A Birmingham Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
It is important that you contact a Birmingham medical malpractice attorney as quickly as possible after you discover that you have a medical injury. In Alabama, the amount of time you have to file a medical malpractice lawsuit depends on the age of the person injured and when the harm was discovered:
- If an adult was injured and immediately discovered the harm, you have 2 years from the date of the mistake to file a claim.
- If an adult was injured, but the harm was not discovered within 2 years, you have 6 months after the discovery of the injury to file a claim. However, no case may be brought more than 4 years after an injury regardless of when it was or could have been discovered.
- If a child over the age of 4 was injured, you have 4 years to file a claim.
- If a child under the age of 4 was injured, you have until the minor’s eighth birthday to file a claim.
The sooner you contact an attorney, the quicker we can begin gathering evidence, seeking expert opinions, interviewing witnesses, and developing your case. It can take a significant amount of time to prepare for a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Our Birmingham personal injury lawyers at Belt & Bruner, P.C. have the knowledge and experience to help you assert a medical malpractice claim. Medical providers have big insurance companies and teams of lawyers on their sides. We have the resources and skills to fight back. Contact us today at 205-933-1500 for a free initial case consultation to find out how we can help you.