Birmingham Truck Accident Lawyers
Belt & Bruner, P.C. has more than 65 years of collective trial experience representing people who have been injured. They can help you seek compensation while you focus on recovery. Contact our Birmingham truck accident lawyers today at 205-933-1500 for a free consultation.
With more than 2.4 million large trucks, such as big rigs, tractor-trailers, 18-wheelers, and other commercial trucks, operating on Alabama roadways annually, accidents are bound to happen. If you have been involved in a truck accident, you may be experiencing physical pain and emotional distress.
Top Truck Accident Case Results
People in smaller passenger vehicles are often seriously injured when involved in a collision with a commercial vehicle just because of the sheer difference in size and mass between a truck and car or even an SUV. In 2013, large trucks caused 1,982 injuries in Alabama, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT). Those injuries often result in devastating situations for those injured and their families.
However, if you’ve been hurt, your situation is not without hope. You may have options for compensation of your:
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of earning capacity
- Loss of quality of life
- Property loss or damage
To learn more about your options for recovery, contact Belt & Bruner, P.C. We’ll provide a straightforward assessment of your case, help you make an informed decision about your next steps, and then fight to obtain the maximum available compensation for your injuries and other losses.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you are likely dealing with intense physical pain and mental anguish. After an accident, you should always seek medical treatment first. Then, you should seek the assistance of a Birmingham personal injury attorney. They will help you remain calm and guide you through the process of making a personal injury claim. Belt & Bruner, P.C. will help you obtain compensation for injuries you’ve sustained due to the negligence of another person or company.
Large trucks may weigh as much as 80,000 pounds with full loads of sometimes toxic or combustible materials. When those trucks are involved in crashes, the results can be fatal. If a loved one was involved in a fatal truck accident, you are likely experiencing emotional distress and you may not know how to handle financial losses resulting from the accident.
Belt & Bruner, P.C. can help you understand your rights after losing a beloved family member in a fatal truck accident. A wrongful death claim may help you cover losses caused by someone else’s negligence. We provide compassionate counsel during your time of grief, and aggressive representation to hold the responsible parties accountable for the loss of your loved one.
Truck accidents can be extremely difficult to prove. Trucking companies often have the ability to invest a significant amount of money in defense. It is important to begin an investigation immediately after an accident to ensure all evidence is obtained and preserved. Accident reconstructionists may be necessary to prove fault in a semi-truck accident. The Birmingham truck accident lawyers with Belt & Bruner, P.C. are familiar with working with experts, obtaining accident reports, and compiling evidence necessary to prove liability.
Truck Accidents in Alabama Can be Unique
Commercial trucks are some of the largest vehicles on the road. When they are involved in accidents, those accidents can be extremely harmful. Although trucks are involved in many of the same types of accidents as other vehicles, due to their distinctive characteristics they sometimes experience unique situations, such as:
- Jackknife accidents when the trailer moves faster than the cab
- Rollovers due to heavy loads and the height of tractor trailers
- Tire blowouts, air brake failure, and other non-performing equipment
- Under-ride situations where smaller vehicles become lodged under the trailer
- Blind spots due to the overall size of trucks and inadequate mirrors
- Lost loads when they are improperly secured or overweight
- Sideswipe accidents as vehicles improperly change lanes
- T-Bone accidents when vehicles improperly proceed through intersections
- Head-On collisions with other vehicles, objects, and animals
The Birmingham truck accident lawyers at Belt & Bruner, P.C. understand the nuances of truck accidents including those involving big rigs, tractor-trailers, 18-wheelers, and other commercial trucks. We frequently work with experts to prove what happened.
Causes of Truck Accidents
There may be multiple factors involved in a crash involving a commercial truck. When trucking companies and drivers fail to adhere to safety standards, accidents happen, and either the truck driver or trucking company — or both — may bear some liability for causing your injuries.
Some of the common factors that may be involved in a trucking accident include:
- Trucking Company Negligence – Most of the trucking companies in Alabama are small, locally owned operations. Those companies do not always maintain trucks properly, and they often permit overloading of trucks and overworking of employees. Our attorneys can help you determine if these negligent acts may render a trucking company responsible for your injuries.
- Defective Truck Equipment – Despite federal and state requirements, many trucking companies still put unsafe trucks on the road. If you have been seriously injured in an accident involving an 18-wheeler in Alabama caused by mechanical failure or defective equipment, it is important to review your options.
- Truck Driver Error – Poor driving is the top cause of semi-truck accidents in Alabama. In fact, nearly 50 percent of all crashes in 2013 were caused by driver error. The attorneys at Belt & Bruner, P.C. can discuss your legal options and help you recover compensation for your injuries.
- Fatigued Truck Drivers – Due to the distances they travel and their long hours, too many commercial truck drivers suffer from sleep deprivation, but if you are injured in an accident caused by their neglect, call an experienced lawyer today.
- Distracted Truck Driving – When distracted truck drivers cause accidents that hurt others, they and, in many cases, the trucking firm that employs the driver may be held liable.
- Drug and Alcohol Use – Truck drivers often exceed the maximum 70-hour workweek mandated by the Federal motor Carrier Safety Administration. In doing this, they sometimes take performance enhancing drugs to stay awake or drink alcohol to remain calm. Our attorneys can help you recover compensation if you’ve been injured in a truck accident.
- Cargo Spill Accidents – If truck cargo shifts or spills, it can cause the truck to become unstable and wreck. A cargo spill itself can damage property and injure or kill others. If you’re injured by a truck’s cargo, call an experienced Birmingham trucking attorney right away.
- Hazardous Conditions – Poorly maintained roads, severe weather, and construction zones can all cause hazardous conditions for truck drivers. Our attorneys will evaluate your case and help you learn more about your recovery options.
Large trucks must follow state and federal regulations that are made to protect the public. If they fail to adhere to safety regulations or driving laws, companies and drivers may be liable for injuries they cause.
Because Alabama and federal laws can work together in a complex manner, it is important to have a knowledgeable truck accident attorney on your side. A Birmingham personal injury lawyer at Belt & Bruner, P.C. can explain which regulations apply to your situation and whether companies or drivers may be responsible for your injuries due to failing to obey to those laws.
How Our Birmingham Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help You
If you have experienced serious injuries as a result of a commercial truck accident, contact one of our Birmingham injury attorneys at Belt & Bruner, P.C. We may be able to help you recover compensation for your injuries. We’ll apply more than 65 years of collective experience in personal injury cases to obtaining the best possible result for your accident case.
The Birmingham truck accident lawyers at Belt & Bruner, P.C. will contact insurance companies and third parties for you, and aggressively fight for your rights in court, if necessary. We have been successful in obtaining numerous recoveries in excess of $1 million using our combination of legal knowledge, trial skills, and personal injury experience.
Call 205-933-1500 today for a free consultation.