Montgomery Car Accident Lawyers
As the capital of Alabama and one of the state’s largest cities, Montgomery is no stranger to traffic. With several large highways running through it, the city deals with both daily commuters and long-distance travelers. Whether you make your way onto highways often or you tend to stay in town, you are still at risk for a car accident.
If you were injured in an accident in or near Montgomery or have lost a loved one in a crash, contact our experienced Montgomery car accident lawyers at Belt & Bruner, P.C. We understand how frustrating it can be to deal with a sudden and unexpected collision. We will guide you through the insurance claim or personal injury suit process as smoothly as we can, while also aggressively fighting for your right to compensation.
Call us today at 334-513-1841 for a free consultation.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
If you experience a collision in Montgomery, there is a typical process you should follow:
- Receive medical attention- If you are seriously hurt in an accident, your only focus should be on receiving the medical care you need. When you suffer minor or moderate injuries, your health and safety should still be your top priority. While you may want to balance getting medical care while dealing with the accident, put yourself first. If paramedics do not come to the scene, get yourself to an emergency department or your physician as soon as possible.
- Speak with the police- There should be a police report regarding your accident. If you are able to, call 911 or the Montgomery Police Department’s non-emergency line and speak with an officer once they are on the scene. However, remain as factual about what happened as possible, and never admit fault.
- Gather insurance and contact information- If you are able to, speak with the other driver(s) and any witnesses to obtain their name, contact information, and insurance policy information.
- Contact a lawyer- Once you have received medical attention and dealt with the immediate aftermath of the crash, call our Montgomery car accident lawyers at Belt & Bruner, P.C. for advice on how to handle the insurance claim and possible personal injury lawsuit.
Common Causes of Montgomery Car Accidents
Car crashes happen for a variety of reasons. In some circumstances, neither driver is at fault. A defect within a vehicle or bad weather and road conditions can take matters beyond the control of you and the other driver. However, most collisions are due to one driver being careless or negligent. More specifically, some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- Drowsy driving
- Aggressive driving or road rage
- Failing to yield to the right of way
- Distracted driving
- Improper lane change or use
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
Whether you are sure you know what caused the accident, or you are unsure of what lead to the collision, contact a car accident attorney in Montgomery for help. It is important to have a lawyer conduct an independent investigation into the crash. This enables you to gain more evidence of the other person’s fault, and ensures you can contradict any inaccurate statements made by the at-fault party’s insurer.
Frequent Collision-Related Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, so it is impossible to predict all of the harm any type of collision may cause. After a crash, you and your passengers may be dealing with:
- Stretched and torn muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Abdominal injuries
- Punctured organs
- Chest injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Concussions or serious traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- Neck and Back injuries
Pursuing a Car Accident Insurance Claim
There are many steps you must take to pursue compensation for your damages. Our car accident attorneys assist you in every phase of the claims process.
Filing Your Claim
After being injured in a car accident, the first way to obtain compensation for your injuries is through an insurance claim. When another driver is at fault, you will file an insurance claim against that driver’s auto policy. Once you file a formal claim, you will have to cooperate with an insurance adjuster. This is where having a car accident attorney can be helpful. You will need to make a statement to the insurance adjuster about the accident.
Protecting You from Insurance Companies
The adjuster will ask for a significant amount of documentation regarding the crash, requesting items such as a police report, vehicle repair quotes, and your medical history. Most insurers will try and get you to sign a medical record waiver that allows them to review your entire medical history. Car accident attorneys protect you from this and ensure you only provide the appropriate medical records regarding your injuries.
Negotiating a Fair Settlement
If the insurer finds its client is at fault, your claim will be approved. Next comes settlement negotiations. The first settlement offer from an insurer is likely a low-ball offer. The experienced Montgomery car accident lawyers of Belt & Bruner, P.C. will fight for you to receive an offer that encompasses all the compensation you are entitled to under the law.
Challenging Denied Claims
If the insurer denies your claim and you have yet to work with an attorney, call Belt & Bruner, P.C. immediately. We will look into why your claim was denied, and address the situation immediately. That may require going through the insurer’s appeal process or filing a personal injury claim in court.
Car Accident Compensation
The compensation you are entitled to after a car accident depends heavily on your injuries. The types of damages you can pursue include:
- Medical expenses
- Current and future loss of earnings
- Damage to your vehicle and other personal property
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
Alabama’s Contributory Negligence Law
Alabama follows a strict pure contributory negligence rule, which is why you want to deny any responsibility after a car accident. Under this law, if you are in any way at fault for the crash that caused your injuries, you are prohibited from receiving any compensation. This is an extremely harsh rule, and an attorney can help you avoid this devastating outcome.
Car Accident Wrongful Death Claims
If your spouse, parent, child, or sibling was killed in a car accident, call our Montgomery car accident attorneys as soon as possible. When another driver is responsible, a personal representative for your loved one’s estate may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim. If the representative and their attorneys can prove the other driver’s negligence was to blame for your loss, then an insurer, judge, or jury may award you and your family members punitive damages.
Contact Our Montgomery Car Accident Lawyers for Help
At Belt & Bruner, P.C., our Montgomery car accident attorneys have been handling car accident claims for years. We have the knowledge and skills you need to face the difficulties of this situation and obtain the compensation you deserve. We will guide you through the insurance claim process or a personal injury court claim, always explaining and protecting your rights.
Contact us today at 334-513-1841 today to schedule your free, initial consultation.