Workplace Motor Vehicle Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) claims that there are over 5.5 million car accidents in the United States every year. Of those who are involved in these accidents, it is estimated that three million sustain minor or major injuries. When you drive for a living, the risk of being hurt in a crash increases exponentially. If you have been involved in a car accident while driving for work, you can receive funds through your employer’s workers’ compensation coverage. However, if the accident was caused by a third party, filing a personal injury lawsuit may help you gain additional funds.
To see if you can seek justice, contact our work injury lawyers at 205-933-1500.
Seeking Damages in Workplace Motor Vehicle Accidents
In some cases, work incidents that result in injury are simple accidents. In other cases, they are caused by the negligent or irresponsible actions of another. A driver might reach for their cell phone in the back seat, or decide to travel above the legal speed limit. In any case, if you have been involved in an accident caused by a third party while driving for work, you may be entitled to compensation in the form of damages. Damages are a financial award that act as compensation for an injury. In most personal injury cases, financial losses that are pursued include, but are not limited to:
- Disfigurement – If your injuries resulted in your appearance being altered, you may be able to demand funds from the person who was responsible for your accident.
- Medical Costs – The full cost of medical bills is rarely covered by workers’ compensation. In order to regain financial stability, filing a personal injury lawsuit may be a necessity.
- Vehicle Repairs – The funds obtained from a civil lawsuit can also be used to repair your vehicle. Of course, this only applies if you own the vehicle that you drive for work.
- Pain and Suffering – In the United States, the suffering you endure because of another person’s negligence means something. You can receive payment for the anguish you have endured.
- Lost Wages – Being injured means that you will not be able to return to work anytime soon. In the meantime, you can have your wages reimbursed by seeking funds through a civil lawsuit.
- Future Costs – Whether you are forced to retire or you develop a chronic condition because of your injuries, the cost of your accident may be far from over.
Understanding Workplace Motor Vehicle Accident Claims
When you are injured while working, you should be able to make a workers’ compensation claim. However, workers compensation does not cover all of your costs. If someone else caused your injuries, you can file a third-party personal injury lawsuit as well to recover for your losses.
A civil case involving injuries sustained in an accident can go one of two ways. In some cases, a lawsuit is not necessary. Simply the threat of taking legal action is enough to make most people propose a settlement offer. Most settlements are informal, meaning they are arranged outside of court. In most cases, both parties will meet to negotiate a settlement amount. In some situations, however, this is impossible. Whether it is due to an unacceptable offer or the desire to set a precedent, some civil outcomes are decided by a judge or jury.
In Alabama, those who wish to file a personal injury lawsuit must act quickly. This is because there is a statute of limitations on taking this type of legal action, or a time limit related to when a personal injury case can be initiated. According to state law, those who wish to file a personal injury lawsuit must do so within two years of when the injury was discovered. It is for this reason that it is essential to seek immediate legal assistance. Your attorney may need time to prepare your case for filing.
Contact the Alabama Work Injury Attorneys at Belt & Bruner, P.C. Today
Our work injury lawyers at Belt & Bruner, P.C. will work tirelessly to help you seek justice for your injuries. With years of legal experience and a successful track record, we will do whatever it takes to help you case reach a positive outcome. Whether it involves examining evidence or launching a full-scale investigation, we will leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of justice. Your interests will be fully represented.
To find out how you can obtain the compensation you need to move on with your life, call 205-933-1500 for a free consultation. We have offices in Montgomery, Mobile, Huntsville, and additional work injury lawyers in Birmingham to best serve you at a location most convenient to you.