How to File a Nursing Home Complaint | Belt, Bruner & Barnett Personal Injury Lawyers

No fee unless we win.

93 Verdicts and Settlements of One Million or more

How to File a Nursing Home Complaint

Dec 20, 2022 | COVID-19

Assisted living and nursing home facilities have patients’ lives in their hands every day because residents cannot care for themselves or complete daily living tasks. These facilities have an obligation to ensure their safety and well-being.

Nursing homes and staff can be held accountable when they fail to uphold their obligation, causing injury, illness, or additional damages to their patients.

Filing a Nursing Home Complaint in Alabama

There are multiple state agencies responsible for handling nursing home abuse complaints. These agencies include:

Complaints with the Alabama Department of Public Health

You can visit the Alabama DPH website to file an official complaint. The nursing home complaint form will require you to provide as much information about the suspected abuse or neglect as possible. This includes the abuse victim’s name and contact information, the name and location of the senior living facility, and how you are related to the victim.

Where Do You Send Your Complaint?

You can send your nursing home complaint to the Alabama DPH via email at [email protected]. Alternatively, you can mail your nursing home complaint to the Alabama DPH at:

ATTN: Complaint Unit, Alabama Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards

201 Monroe Street, Suite 700

Montgomery, AL


Filing an Assisted Living Facility Complaint

Suppose you have a loved one residing in an assisted living facility who you suspect is being abused. In that case, you could file an assisted-living facility complaint with the Alabama DPH by emailing them at [email protected] or calling their office at 1-866-873-0366. Assisted living facility complaint forms can be sent by mail to the Alabama DPH at:

ATTN: ALF Complaint Unit, Alabama Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards

201 Monroe Street, Suite 700

Montgomery, AL


Complaints with the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Those interested in ensuring the nursing home or assisted living facility is held accountable can file a nursing home complaint with the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman (OSLTCO) as well. Your options for contacting the OSLTCO include:

Email at [email protected]

Call the office at 334-242-5743 or 1-877-425-2243

Send a written complaint to: RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Suite 350, Montgomery, AL 36104

Filing a Police Report

Your nursing home complaint will remain confidential, and you can file it anonymously.

If you have reason to believe that your family member is being abused or neglected, or if you suspect that your family member is at immediate risk of severe harm, inform your local law enforcement officials.

You can contact or visit the police department where the nursing home is located to find out if criminal charges can be pursued against those responsible.

Do You Need Evidence to File a Complaint?

No legal requirement states that you must provide evidence with your nursing home complaint. However, if you want to be taken seriously, including robust evidence that proves your allegations only benefits your case.

The evidence you might use to support your claim includes:

  • Photos of the victim’s injuries
  • Bank statements or financial records that indicate financial abuse
  • Video of the victim’s injuries
  • Video of the abuse or neglect in question
  • Witness statements
  • Medical records

What Happens After a Nursing Home Complaint Is Filed?

Once you have filed a complaint with a state agency, that agency will investigate your concerns. Officials must interview patients and staff members, review nursing home facility records, and observe the nursing home’s care of its residents.

You can work closely with your attorney in the meantime to build a powerful civil lawsuit against the at-fault party. The evidence you obtain in the case you build could help ensure the nursing home facility and staff are held accountable at the state level and prosecuted criminally where applicable.

Contact a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in Alabama for Help

Reporting nursing home neglect and abuse to the appropriate government agencies and law enforcement officials is essential to protect not only yourself or your loved one but the other nursing home residents who may also experience abuse.

With help from a dedicated Alabama nursing home abuse lawyer at Belt & Bruner, PC, you can pursue the compensation you need to recover.

Contact our office for a no-cost, risk-free consultation. You can get started on your insurance claim, civil lawsuit, and nursing home complaint today at (205) 933-1500, or through our quick contact form.