What if I Am Injured By An Out-of-State Driver? | Belt, Bruner & Barnett

No fee unless we win.

93 Verdicts and Settlements of One Million or more

What if I am Injured by an Out-of-State Driver?

Dec 11, 2019 | Car Accidents

Millions of people visit Alabama every year for business, vacation, or both. Some of those visitors may not be familiar with the state’s laws or roads, which can increase the risk of a collision. However, ignorance does not relieve a driver from liability for injuries caused by his or her negligence. If you have sustained injuries due to an out-of-state driver’s negligence in an automobile accident, you may be unsure about what to do next.

When you are injured in an accident caused by an out-of-state driver, bringing a personal injury claim can be more complicated especially if the at-fault party is uninsured or underinsured. Working with an experienced Alabama car accident lawyer will give you the best chance of recovering the compensation you deserve.

At Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. we know how to handle accidents involve out-of-state drivers and insurance companies. We have more than 65 years of combined trial experience and we always fight to secure the maximum available compensation for our clients. Contact our Alabama personal injury lawyers today at 205-933-1500 for a free consultation.

Filing Claims Against Out-of-State Drivers

Even though other states have different laws and minimum insurance coverage requirements, you do have the right to pursue a lawsuit or insurance claim against an at-fault out-of-state driver and you can force a responsible party to appear in an Alabama court. Filing an insurance claim is generally more straightforward given that many companies operate nationally so coverage is available across state lines.

In order to bring a personal injury claim against an individual or insurance company, the court must be able to exercise personal jurisdiction over the parties in the case. Alabama’s long-arm statute gives Alabama courts personal jurisdiction over a non-resident for car accidents and injuries that he or she caused in the state and the authority to require responsible parties to appear in court.

You may also be able to file a lawsuit in the state where the out-of-state driver resides or in a federal court in Alabama or where the defendant lives. The car accident attorneys at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C., can explain where you may be able to sue, which laws will apply, and help you determine your best course of action for pursuing compensation for your injuries.

What To Do After an Accident With an Out-of-State Driver

  • Check for injuries
  • Call 911
  • If possible, secure the accident scene to avoid any further injury and turn on hazard lights to alert other motorists of the accident
  • Exchange Insurance and Registration Info with Other Drivers
  • Obtain Contact Information from Witnesses to Accidents
  • Document the accident scene by taking photos of your injuries, damage to the vehicles involved, the license plates on the cars, any debris or skid marks on the pavement and the injuries sustained by you and other occupants of your vehicle
  • Notify your insurance company immediately about the accident
  • Seek any necessary medical treatment
  • Contact an experienced car accident attorney to discuss your legal options and get help with negotiating with insurance companies or other responsible parties

Contact Our Alabama Car Accident Attorneys Can For Help

At Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C., our Alabama car accident attorneys have the skills, knowledge, and resources to hold out-of-state drivers accountable. Our goal is to secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries so that you have the resources you need for a recovery. We have obtained a $13 million jury verdict in a single automobile accident (remitted to $9 million by the court), and more than $1 million in 40 other victories.

To learn more about how we can help with your car accident claim, contact the auto injury lawyers with Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. today at 205-933-1500. With offices in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, and Montgomery, our attorneys can help you at a location nearest you.