Maximizing Pain and Suffering Compensation in Alabama | Belt, Bruner & Barnett

No fee unless we win.

93 Verdicts and Settlements of One Million or more

Maximizing Pain and Suffering Compensation in Alabama

Jan 13, 2017 | Personal Injury

If you have pain and suffering from a personal injury, you need a compassionate representative on your side to help you recover compensation for your losses. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Alabama from Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. today at (205) 933-1500 to find out how we can help.

Under Alabama law, pain and suffering (also referred to as mental anguish) damages are compensable for the mental sensation of physical pain and the emotional distress that accompanies an injury. It can also include the loss of enjoyment of life and an inability to carry on with normal activities.

A serious injury often results in both severe physical pain and emotional distress. Personal injury victims may endure significant pain and suffering including feelings of fright, nervousness, grief, irritability, shock, horror, and much more. This type of intense emotional distress not only impacts a person’s quality of life, it can lead to serious conditions such as PTSD, insomnia, depression, or anxiety.

Measuring Pain and Suffering Damages

Alabama does not have a fixed monetary standard or method for calculating pain and suffering damages. Two of the most common methods for measuring pain and suffering damages are the per diem and multiplier method. These methods consider the length of time pain and suffering were experienced as well as the amount of medical bills, lost wages, and other losses sustained. The amount of pain and suffering damages awarded in a personal injury lawsuit is left to the sound judgment and discretion of the jury or judge.

Regardless of whether you are dealing with an insurance adjuster or pursuing a personal injury claim in court, you will need to present evidence that describes the nature, severity, and duration of your mental anguish to support a claim for pain and suffering compensation.

Documenting Pain and Suffering Damages

Pain and suffering damages can cover a wide-range of intangible injuries and are therefore subjective by nature. In order to maximize pain and suffering damages, it is important for victims to document the extent of their injuries and accompanying emotional distress. Some common forms of evidence that may be used to document pain and suffering damages include:

  • Medical records
  • Photos of your injuries
  • Personal journals
  • Treatments by a mental health professional
  • Testimony from friends and family about how the injury has impacted your life
  • Expert testimony from a psychiatrist or psychologist
  • Medication/prescription records

How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help

Working with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident is the best way to help maximize your financial recovery. A qualified personal injury lawyer can explain what your claim is worth, investigate your accident, collect valuable evidence to support your claim, and fight for the maximum compensation possible.

Contact an Alabama Personal Injury Lawyer Today

The last thing you should be worried about while trying to recover from a traumatic injury is navigating the complicated legal process on your own. The Alabama personal injury attorneys at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. have more than 65 years of collective experience and are here to shoulder the burden of pursuing a personal injury claim.

Our talented team of injury lawyers has obtained multi-million dollar settlements and jury awards on behalf of countless accident victims throughout Alabama. We have the knowledge, legal skills, and resources to aggressively advocate on your behalf and will be by your side every step of the way. To find out more about how we can best represent you, learn how our Montgomery personal injury lawyers, Mobile personal injury lawyers, Huntsville personal injury lawyers, and Birmingham personal injury lawyers can help you. Contact us today at (205) 933-1500 for a free consultation.