Why Witness Statements are Important After a Car AccidentPublished: Feb 22, 2018 in Car Accidents
Your recovery from a serious car accident can take a long time, and you may have many medical expenses while also being out of work. Securing adequate financial compensation is very important for you and your family during this difficult situation, but the many aspects of an accident claim can be overwhelming for anyone. Obtaining witness statements after a car accident is essential in building a strong case that can help you to quickly recover the compensation you need. With years of experience helping clients after devastating accidents, we understand how to gather crucial witness statements and use them in a successful claim. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a serious auto accident in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, or Montgomery, call the experienced car accident lawyers at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. today.
Together we can build a strong case that will allow you to recover sufficient compensation that helps you move on with your life. Call us today at (205) 933-1500 to schedule a free, initial case consultation.
Witness Statements After a Car Accident Can Help Your Case
When your car accident claim begins, all parties involved will begin what is called the discovery process where they review evidence that is available and share evidence with each other under the guidance of the court. This allows for cases to be settled quickly if one side realizes that they will most likely lose in court. Showing that your argument is supported by testimony from one or several legitimate and unbiased witnesses can result in the insurance company for the at-fault party offering you a financial settlement.
Car accident claims often do not result in a satisfactory settlement offer, and the injured party has to go to court in order to fight for compensation. In this situation, we can use witness statements in order to do the following:
- Show a previous admission of the other party. Perhaps the other driver admitted to an error shortly after the accident. Having a statement illustrating this can show that you should be able to recover damages.
- Show an inconsistency in another person’s statement. If we have a statement from a witness that was taken right after your accident, then that person’s testimony in court must remain consistent. If their story frequently changes, your lawyer can demand that they explain why they are switching up details of what happened.
- Refresh someone’s memory. A witness can help you win your case, but it might take many months before they testify in court about your accident. It’s understandable that someone might forget some important details, but a legitimate witness statement can help them recall exactly what happened.
Collect Witness Statements as Early as Possible
After a serious car accident, the first thing that you must do is to seek proper medical attention. Even if you do not have life-threatening injuries, it is important to see a doctor for any injuries that you might have. Additionally, you must call the police in order to report your accident. In most situations, this is required by state law. These important steps often result in the collection of witness statements being forgotten or put off by accident victims. Delaying the collection of this information can be a serious mistake.
While your lawyer will help you contact witnesses and gather their testimony, you can begin doing this immediately after an accident. Remember to never be forceful or argumentative with a witness. If they are unable to give a complete testimony immediately after your accident, be sure to gather their names and contact information. Unbiased witness statements can come from many sources such as:
- The occupants of other cars nearby
- Those who stopped to help immediately after the wreck
- Road or utility workers
- The owners of security cameras for homes or businesses near the accident scene
Call an Alabama Car Accident Lawyer Today
Having witness statements from unbiased individuals can help successfully end your case without unnecessary delay. While your car accident attorney can help you find witnesses and properly gather their testimony, it is important for you to think about collecting witness information and statements as soon as possible after a bad accident. Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. has years of experience negotiating with insurance companies and going to trial on behalf of our clients, and we know how a witness statement can win adequate compensation for an injured accident victim.
If you would like to discuss your car accident with a skilled Alabama injury lawyer, contact us at (205) 933-1500 to schedule a free consultation regarding your case. We have offices in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, and Montgomery to better conveniently serve you.