Stair, Deck & Balcony Injuries
Home > Premises Liability Lawyers & Slip and Fall Attorneys > Stair, Deck & Balcony Injuries
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) claims that slips, trips, and falls are responsible for 15 percent of all accidental fatalities at work. In many cases, these accidents are caused by the negligence of another employee or the property owner. Perhaps you were walking up the stairs when you slipped on a cleaning product, or perhaps you fell off of a balcony when the railing gave out. If you have been harmed on another person’s property, you may be able file a personal injury lawsuit to recover funds.
The Alabama premises liability lawyers at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. are well-versed in holding property owners accountable for their irresponsibility. Call 205-933-1500 now for a free consultation. With offices in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, and Montgomery, our attorneys will quickly travel to investigate your case.
Common Defects in Stairs, Decks, and Balconies
Unfortunately, many stairs, decks, and balconies have developed dangerous defects. Many staircases, for example, can become covered in slippery substances when they are not properly maintained. Attempting to walk on this type of surface can cause a major fall and lead to concussions, cuts, and broken bones. Outdoor stairs can also be dangerous in the winter. All it takes is slipping on a coat of black ice to land in the hospital. Decks and balconies, while safer than stairs, are also prone to a number of malfunctions. If a deck is not properly maintained, it might collapse or fall apart.
In Alabama, property owners are required to take reasonable measures to protect legal visitors. However, being hurt on another person’s property does not guarantee a financial award. In order to file a successful lawsuit on the grounds of premises liability, one of the following elements must be present:
- The property owner or an employee caused the conditions that led to the accident in question
- The defect that led to the accident was noticed by the owner and not fixed
- The defect was not known, but any reasonable person caring for the property should have discovered it and made the necessary repairs
Receiving Compensation for Stair, Deck, and Balcony Injuries
If you have been hurt on another person’s property, you may want to recover compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. If so, you need to seek the help of a skilled attorney immediately. One reason it is essential to obtain legal representation has to do with the personal injury statute of limitations in the state of Alabama. The law states that a person has two years from the time their injury is discovered to take legal action. While any capable premises liability lawyer will attempt to prepare your case quickly, certain elements, such as conducting an independent investigation, take time.
If your injuries were caused by another person, you may be able to pursue the following damages:
- Pain and Suffering – Being injured on someone else’s property can lead to prolonged pain and even psychological conditions. You deserve compensation for this suffering.
- Medical and Rehabilitation Costs – Getting the treatment you need after being hurt can be costly, especially if you do not have excellent insurance.
- Lost Wages – Although your injuries may have landed you in the hospital, life must go on. If you are unable to return to work, you will need compensation for your regular expenses.
- Disfigurement – In some cases, an accident could cause permanent scarring or severe burns. Since this affects your life in a very real way, you deserve to be compensated.
- Future Expenses – While you may no longer be in the hospital, you may need to return. Certain slip and fall accidents can result in chronic conditions that require continued treatment.
- Property Damage – If any of your property was damaged or destroyed during your accident, it may be possible to receive funds. This is especially true for phones and other expensive personal items.
Contact the Premises Liability Lawyers Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. Today
Over the years, our premises liability lawyers at Belt, Bruner, & Barnett P.C. have helped many people seek justice for their injuries. In addition to getting results, our legal team is dedicated to listening to your side of the story. Once all of the details have been gathered, your case can be cast in the best possible light. Whether you were hurt falling down the stairs or slipping on a wet balcony, you deserve to be compensated by those who are responsible for your injuries.
To find out how you can take the first steps in your case, call 205-933-1500 today.